EDITOR & AUTHOR AGREEMENT (DEVELOPMENTAL AND COPY EDIT)
_________________________ (hereinafter, “Author”), an individual with a place of residence located at ___________________, __________________, and Sam Hendricks, (hereinafter, “Editor”), an individual with a place of residence located at ___________________, __________________, do hereby agree to the following:
1. The Author has prepared an approximately _____-word manuscript currently titled ___________________________. Pursuant to the terms and conditions herein, the Editor will provide service(s) as mutually agreed, confirmed in writing by the Author.
2. The Editor agrees to accept, and the Author agrees to pay $_____ US Dollars, which will be invoiced and paid via Paypal.
3. Pending manuscript submission on or before _____ and payment, work will commence on _____ and be completed on ____. The editor will communicate any unexpected delays immediately.
4. All electronic files submitted via e-mail attachment (or DropBox for particularly large files) shall be formatted as a Word document in 12-point Times New Roman font, double-spaced, with one-inch side margins, and indented paragraphs (scripts, poetry, and informational text excluded).
***This section customized based on project***
5. The Editor shall use Word’s commenting and tracking features to make edits in accordance with usage guidelines set forth by The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th Edition as well as adhering to spellings as specified by the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary for American English and the Cambridge English Dictionary for British English. The manuscript will be returned as two versions: one with the edits visible for acceptance or rejection, and one that is a clean copy with all changes accepted.
5. In a copy/line edit, sentences and paragraphs may require reworking rather than whole pages or scenes. Areas addressed include awkward phrasing, syntax issues (sentence variety and structure), repetition, showing vs. telling, best word choices, passive verb elimination, suitable dialogue, clichés, anachronisms, chapter breaks, timeline consistency, and more. Minor fact-checking, as well as potential copyright issues, are also covered. A follow-up proofread by another set of eyes is advised to catch minor errors and formatting issues. A manuscript style sheet and overview letter is also included.
5. In a manuscript undergoing a developmental or structural critique, whole pages or scenes may need reworking, but the overall story is sound and has already undergone some revision. The Editor shall use Word’s commenting and tracking features to note strengths and weaknesses with characterization, conflict/tension, description, inconsistencies, pacing, passive writing, plot, point of view, scene development, and showing vs. telling. Consistent grammatical errors will be pointed out as a common courtesy, but not corrected repeatedly. A written evaluation is also included.
5. A proofread focuses on proper conventions of sentence mechanics and fixes basic errors in spelling, grammar, capitalization, and punctuation. In general, there is no restructuring or re-writing of sentences for clarity. Consistency in formatting is also addressed. A manuscript style sheet and overview letter are also included. Each page receives multiple passes. It is preferable the Author submits a manuscript after formatting rather than before.
6. The Author shall provide reasonable cooperation and assistance to the Editor in preparation of all materials. This includes being available for email communication on a regular basis as needed. At the Author’s request, one phone conference (up to half an hour long with the most pressing questions submitted in advance) can be arranged at the end of the editing process. If desired, short follow-up emails can be sent in lieu of in-person conferences. The follow-up should take place within two months of receiving the completed manuscript from the Editor.
7. Any additional fees for editing required or requested after the follow-up consultation will be decided on a case-by-case basis. Additional consultation time beyond the follow-up will be billed at $30 per hour.
8. The Author warrants that the materials delivered herein are the original work of the Author and that the same do not violate any copyright, trademark, or other protection of intellectual property by the Author.
9. The Author acknowledges the contracting of professional editing and/or writing services does not guarantee book sales or representation by a literary agent, or publication with any of Editor’s companies.
10. This agreement, in its entirety, contains the full understanding of the parties and may only be modified by a writing executed by the parties hereto. If any part of this agreement is deemed void, the rest of the agreement will be considered valid. Disputes about this agreement will be settled in the state of Colorado.
11. The signatures affixed to this document, whether physical or electronic, are equivalent to a physical signature and will legally bind this document.
This agreement is made on this the _____ day of ________, 20__.